On 19.3.1944, with the German occupation of Hungary, Yaakov received his mobilization orders for a forced labor unit. He enlisted and was sent to Budapest. He made contact with the leadership of the movement and arrived at the “Glass House”. Since he knew Hebrew, Yaakov taught the language, songs and Zionism to the children who found shelter in children’s houses in the responsibility of his movement. Friends who ran away from forced labor camps found refuge with Yaakov’s help.
On October 15th, 1944, when the Arrow Cross Party took over the government in Hungary, Yaakov was caught by gendarmes but managed to escape. He joined the educational staff of the children’s house on 90, Dob Street under the auspices of the International Red Cross and in the responsibility of his movement. After the liberation of Budapest in January 1945, Ya’akov was caught by Russian guards and sent as a prisoner to Archangelsk on the North Sea coast. He was set free in June 1946 and returned to Budapest. From there Yaakov traveled to Germany to assist in the management of a children’s house.
Yaakov made aliya in 1948 with a group of children within the framework of the “Ehad BeMay garin” and arrived in Kibbutz Ga’aton. He resided in Rehovot.