Tzvi was born in a Jewish Orthodox family. In 1927 his family moved to the city of Debrecen and in 1933 they moved to Budapest, where he studied at the Jewish high school. In 1944 he was enlisted in a forced labor unit, escaped and found refuge in the “Glass House” on Vadász Street. He supplied food and forged documents. After the liberation he joined Kibbutz Ehad BeMay and made aliya illegally on the vessel “Knesset Israel” that was intercepted by the British and he was sent to Cyprus. During a struggle with British soldiers he was wounded in the head.
He arrived in Eretz Israel (Palestine)in 1947 and in 1948, together with his friends, he founded Kibbutz Ga’aton. He worked as a nurse in a hospital.